The Relaxation Situation

Marian Winchell, Reporter

In the coming days, the stress of school may be insurmountable, unless we, the students, practice counter measures to prevent it. 

With the end of the year finals nearing, stress levels are at an all time high, as students prepare for the strenuous tests ahead. In light of the coming events, students are having to discover, and practice new forms of relaxation to help them get by. Junior Noelle Stevens utilizes various methods of relaxation techniques that she has developed through trial and error to help her meet the growing demands of academics and the stresses of everyday life. 

“Relaxing impacts me because people who don’t believe in meditation and stuff like that seem to be more stressed. Relaxation is a big part of your brain, and if you can’t relax, you can’t focus. Sometimes [when] you can’t relax you get really stressed, and you can’t concentrate on anything, and nothing makes sense, so it impacts how you function,” Stevens said. 

Of course the environment is a key part to being able to relax in an efficient manner. Some environments can be more chaotic than others making it harder to relax for some individuals. Although optimal environments for relaxing vary from person to person, a calm and quiet environment is the most beneficial for the majority of people. There are a multitude of ways to relax in a safe and healthy manner, all of which can be held in the same regard. One of the more popular places to relax is in the comfort of one’s own home. 

“I feel like to really relax you have to be in a comfortable, safe place. You can’t really do that in school sometimes because [of] kids and everything. You really have to be somewhere where you feel safe and where you can relax and not just be on alert all the time,” Stevens said

Stress can impact your life in many different ways. Stress can have a tremendous impact on relationships, work ethic, mental health, and physical health. Without proper care the stress can build, seriously affecting how you function. Due to issues with stress, many students struggle to complete day to day tasks and have problems with concentration. 

“Relaxing definitely impacts your mental health. It impacts your mental health because if you don’t relax, and you’re stressed all the time you can feel agitated. Also, your moods will be all over the place, and you will have a lot of mood swings. So I think relaxing impacts your mental health the most,” Stevens said. 

At home relaxation is crucial to relieving stress, because it is often easier to relax in the comfort and familiarity of your home. Although, with too many distractions, relaxing becomes even more scarce. Without the ability to relax in a home environment the stress will build unless the person in question is offered an escape or an opportunity to relax elsewhere. 

“At home is definitely when I’m trying to relax the most, because that’s when I usually have some free time. But sometimes I have to do homework,so I take 20 minute relaxation breaks before I do homework, and then after the relaxation break, I start my homework,” Stevens said. 

Relaxing has a huge impact on academics. If you are free of stress, you are more likely to perform better, rather than if you had a larger amount of stress. Stress can impact concentration which is an important part of schools, a lack of concentration can impact success. People with higher concentration levels are more likely to perform better and have higher success rates than people with lower concentration levels. 

“For relaxation to impact how you perform academically, it would depend on if you’re a procrastinator like I am or not. Sometimes you get distracted very easily, and you forget about your work. Although, if you are really good at organizing your time, and you can remember to do your work, then yeah I would say so,” Stevens said.