Teachers Ship You, Too!

Christina Salem, Reporter

Since the holiday of love has recently passed, there seems to be nothing more talked about than relationships— even relationships that do not exist… yet. Shipping is when someone thinks that two people should be in a relationship. It is common knowledge that students ship each other, but what about the teachers who are also around budding relationships? Do they? 

“I do, but I don’t always tell them that I do. There have been times when students will ask my opinion, and I’ll give it, but yeah, I do,” 9th and 10th grade English teacher Katy Carmincke said. 

Carmincke loves her job, kids and teaching. She also attributes herself as a warm and friendly person, or at least one who tries to be. Carmincke claims that shipping is a phenomenon done by every teacher. 

“I mean, I definitely have some of my students that I put on instruments together— not romantically, but because they’re BFFs, and I want them to be able to play with their friends,” 6th through 12th grade percussion teacher Darren Heath said. 

Heath loves music, watching people grow, and watching friendships grow, too. Heath holds a position somewhat opposite to Carmincke’s, wherein not all teachers ship their students romantically. Then again, Heath has a YouTube channel with 34 subscribers where his newest videos average at about 15 views. Who would really trust in the judgement of someone who, in a way, consistently gets ratioed? 

But this begs the question, if teachers ship their students in one way or another, to what lengths do teachers go to get their students together?

Carmincke said, “I will allow students to deliver notes to my class or around Valentine’s Day. I’ll be a part of a setup if they want to ask someone to prom or whatever. I’ll put them in groups as well, but just because freshmen get really embarrassed, I don’t go any further than just putting them as partners.” 

Not only does Carmincke participate in shipping, but Carmincke also claims to have successfully gotten three couples together. 

“Three I know of, but I mean, who knows? I’m sure every successful high school relationship can probably say I have something to do with it. I’m kidding, don’t put that in,” Carmincke said.

Meanwhile, Heath attests to having gotten five pairs of friends together. Sometimes, the matchmaking efforts pay off.

“It wasn’t my own matchmaking, but I will say that at the middle school, I have two BFFs that are inseparable that met the day they were doing a percussion test, and they became friends that day while they were waiting in line, so I didn’t do it, but I indirectly did it,” Heath said.

On the contrary, Carmincke can lay a more definitive claim to contributing to the formation of relationships.

“Five years ago, I had these two students who were both really kind of shy and quiet in my class, and I thought they kinda looked cute together, so I would partner them up a couple times for projects, and they ended up dating all four years of high school, and they even came back to tell me that they wouldn’t have dated if it weren’t for me,” Carmincke said. “They broke up after high school, which tends to happen, but yeah, there are a couple of my former students that have gotten married, but it’s not because I put them together or anything. They had been dating long before that.”

While the act of shipping is usually associated with the naïveté of adolescents, it is evident that people of all ages enjoy matchmaking. Teachers: they are just like us.